Teff is a gluten-free, ancient grain from Ethiopia. This tiny little grain is a nutritional powerhouse, being a good source of iron, calcium and fibre, while having a low glycaemic index. It is also a rich source of protein – making it a particularly great choice for vegans and vegetarians.
In this recipe I have also added a scoop of rice protein, making these pancakes a high-protein breakfast option that will support blood sugar regulation, muscle growth and repair and keep you satisfied till lunchtime. Any flavour protein powder will do but chocolate works particularly well with the nutty flavour of teff. The chia seeds add an extra boost of fibre and essential fatty acids.
· 1 cup of ivory teff flour (Teff Tribe)
· 1 scoop of chocolate rice protein powder (Sunwarrior)
· 1 teaspoon of gluten-free baking powder
· 1.5 cups of oat milk (coconut or almond would work well too)
· 3 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil
· 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar (optional)
· 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean extract
· 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
· Pinches of sea salt and cinnamon
· Strawberries, blueberries, shredded coconut and sweetener of choice (raw honey, maple syrup, rice syrup) for topping
In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds and oat milk and stir to allow the chia seeds to start to gel. Then add the vanilla and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
In a larger bowl, combine the teff flour, protein powder, coconut sugar, sea salt, cinnamon and baking powder and stir through.
Add the contents of the wet bowl to the dry and whisk well to combine until smooth. If the chia has absorbed too much of the liquid and the batter is too thick, add some more oat milk until you reach a pourable consistency.
Bring a pan to medium heat with a teaspoon of coconut oil.
Pour ¼ of a cup of the mixture onto the fry pan. Don’t crowd, 2 in the pan at a time works well, continue to add more coconut oil between batches.
Flip the pancakes when bubbles have formed on the top. Remove from the heat when both sides have browned.
Serve with fresh strawberries, blueberries, shredded coconut and a drizzle of sweetener.
GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, VEGAN